Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Waiting

Every year I tell myself that I am not going to get caught up in all the hubub of the holiday season. I tell myself that I am just going to go slow and enjoy all the beauty of the season. It's supposed to be about waiting, waiting for the birth of the saviour, waiting and more waiting.


I have never been good at waiting. I want to instill in my children patience and I don't practice it well myself. But this year, I really wanted Christmas to be about Christ and all that He brings to my life. And once again, it's about presents and who is getting what and how much we are spending and how do we make everyone else happy. Notice I said, EVERYONE ELSE.

So, I am taking a deep breath and going to try and spend these next few days being patient. Not getting caught up in the hubub and trying to role model this for my children.

The other night Katie was having a hard time getting to sleep. Lots going on at school, a meltdown at Target, you get the picture. I took her into our room, sat down with her in our rocker, wrapped her up in her flannel princess blanket and just rocked her to sleep. I didn't read, I didn't think, I just sat with her in the moment. I sang and hummed to her. She fell asleep and I fell into a relaxed state of mind that I have been trying to achieve for days. I think tonight, after I go out and get that LAST present, pick Gillian up from karate, I am going to climb into the rocker and just rock. Maybe it will work again. And then tomorrow, I am going to carry that feeling over into the day with me.

Check in tomorrow and we'll see how it's going OK?

1 comment:

Dharma said...

Sweetheart you really need to figure out how to make making you happy a larger priority.