Thursday, August 03, 2006

My Lord, what a morning!

Well, poor Gillian has been sick for a couple of days with a cold. On top of that her colitis has been acting up. It's hard to tell with her when she gets diarreah if it's illness or colitis, so when she told me yesterday that she hurt all over, I was thinking illness. She woke up this morning feeling worse, so I took her in to the MD and sure enough, she has a nasty sinus infection. It was actually kind of neat because the MD had a student with her and she had him look up her nose and I asked if I could look too. It was so nasty. Thick green ropes of snot just hanging down. Anyway, she gave us an antibiotic and then went and got some saline stuff for Gillian to use to wash out her nose and help break up the infection. I was impressed because she went to hand the saline stuff to me, reconsidered and then gave it to Gillian and explained to her how and when to use it. After we left the MD, I stopped to get Katie (I left her at MIL's house because I didn't want her to pick up germs at the MD office and she already has a cold). After getting Katie, we headed to the grocery store because I wanted to get stuff for Gillian's party this weekend.

Can you believe that I am going to be the mother of a 14 year old???? We are having a family birthday party out at my sister's on Sunday and then when we get back from camp, I will take her and a couple of friends to the movies, or let her have a small sleep over here at the house.

So, the reason that we are having her party at my sister's is that she lives near my uncle. What's the big deal you say? My Grandfather is at my Uncle's recovering from his open heart surgery and my Aunt (who is doing almost ALL of his care) is going up to camp for a few days and my Grandmother is too confused to take care of Grandpa approapriately. SO, I was supposed to go over and spend the night tonight, but since both kids are sick (and I would have to take them with me because Cheryl needs to go to work in the AM) I had to have my mother go over instead. And my sister (who is a nurse) is going over 3-4 times a day to feed/push meds. My Grandfather still can't eat or drink anything by mouth. They aren't sure whether they are going to be able to fix this problem which would mean he would spend the rest of his life being tube fed.

Another big news item is that Katie got her hair cut! Doesn't she look cute? She told me that she wanted to do it when we went to get her bangs cut and she is just so proud of herself. I told her she wouldn't be able to have ponies anymore for a while, but she didn't care. She totally looks like a little girl now and not a baby anymore. The picture here stinks because I had it taken in one of those little booths (since I don't have a digital camera) but you get the jist!

1 comment:

Mermaidgrrrl said...

Ugh - I've got sinus infection too and it sucks. Did they give you the saline spray or the kind that you flush up one nostril and out the other? I use a teapot with tepid salt water to wash out mine (virtually free - the right price). Do a search on netti pots if you're interested. I use one teaspoon of salt to a small teapot of water.