Sunday, October 08, 2006

Inspiration

We went to a Holly Near concert last night and had the most unbelivable time. I was on the planning committee and had the best time. Gillian and Holly had a most awesome conversation about Gillian's karate and I even got to shake her hand! LOL! Seriously, it reenergized me in a way that I needed to be. I love the way that Holly interweaves her stories with her songs in a way that the songs mean so much more than they would if she just sat there and sang.

Our president is a big bully. He and his administration are sending our children out to fight a war that we have no right being in. This I knew. What I learned last night was that it's not OUR children who are going off to fight, but the poor and disenfranchised who are being sent over with the promise of something BIG! And the biggest thing they get is killed and sent back home in a casket. If OUR children were drafted, we'd get up off our complacent asses and mobilize. But these kids are OUR kids too. If no one else stands for them, then who will? Will it be you?

2 comments:

Mermaidgrrrl said...

Things are a little bit different in Australia with the armed forces, but it makes me very, very angry that my brother is being sent to Iraq in 3 weeks while our Pimre Ministers son sits comfortably in Washington doing his internship. If they believe in the war so fucking much why don't they send their kids? At least the royal family in England have always sent their sons and put their money where their mouth is.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of Michael Moore's movie where he actually stands on the corner and asked real congressmen to sign their child up for the armed forces ... Of course they wouldn't dare.